Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas from Kiev!

Today was filled with mixed emotions of me longing to be back home with my family and enjoying my time here is Kiev with Dima and friends.  I know we will be home to celebrate our own holiday when we get back, but I still felt homesick.  Syvette and her daughter showed us around beautiful downtown Kiev since she knew it was a holiday for us and would want to celebrate. The Walk family, McKracken's, Dima and I enjoyed the beautiful New Year's decorations as they do not celebrate Christmas day.

Before I post pictures from today, I would like to talk about yesterdays crazy day.  Since we weren't able to process Dima's passport on Thursday, we had to do the 2 hour drive again yesterday. Everything went well, but we had to rush back to the orphanage so Dima could say good bye to the Director and his friends. The Walk's were in Lena's room with the girls and I don't think their was a dry eye in the room. I couldn't imagine how those girls are feeling with Lena leaving.  They are happy for her, but long to have a family of their own and they know their time is running out.  I wish we could help these children find a family of their own, they deserve it just as much as Lena, Erik and Dima did. 

The Director wanted to meet with the Walk's and I to celebrate Dima, Erik, and Lena leaving the orphanage.  She celebrated with cookies, cake, chai(tea) and champagne! We quickly celebrated as we had to catch the evening train.  Their must have been about 20 kids that came out to the car to say good bye to the kids.  I really felt for Artyr, Dima's best friend, as he was really having a hard time saying good bye.  His date to be adopted can not come soon enough! He will need some prayers as the next month will be long until the Rose's come! 




Dima had the biggest smile on his face leaving the orphanage! We rushed to get our luggage from our apartments and got on the train.  We splurged and got first class!  Below is a picture of us leaving on the train after talking to Papa on Skype! Dima was so happy to see him! Dusty was also very relieved to hear from us as I had no way of getting hold of him to let him know things went well with applying for Dima's passport.

Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep on the train from the excitement and having three families on the train at the same time.  When we arrived in Kiev, we were taken to our apartments.  The McKracken's are flying back home and will return the second weekend of January.  The Walk's and Dima and I are staying within quick walking distance which will be nice for the kids to see each other often.  We wait for the kids passports and pray that they come in no later than Wednesday.  If they don't, then no trip back home on January 1st! I don't even want to think about if they do not come by Wednesday.  When we receive passports, we do the paperwork for visa and the kids get a medical exam.  For now, we are trying to give the kids an opportunity to see the local sites.

Erik and Dima at the overlook of the city.

Lena, Erik, and Dima near a statue that Syvette told us the name, but I couldn't even begin to pronounce, let along spell it!

Me, Dima, Mirana(Syvette's daughter), Erik, Lori, Lena, Russ, Mick and Janel in front of the Milka tree.  Syvette said this is for next year to be sweet.  Any tree that is named from a chocolate is the tree for me!!!!

The decorations were gorgeous!
Merry Christmas everyone! Please cherish the time with your loved ones!

1 comment: