Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Updates


Although I am enjoying this cool weather and the rain that's feeding our garden,but it's been a little challenging to keep Dima entertained. Yesterday (Monday) was a very low key day, as he probably needed it after all the excitement with the camp and finding out he has a home in America. He was very patient even though I know he was bored. We tried to go to Canoe Creek and play but we got rained out and just went home to watch some tv. Later we went to the mall for something to do, but the mall is about a ghost town anymore.

Luckily we've been able to communicate a little better with the help of google translate. We have both gotten it down pretty good now as at first it took us forever to figure out how to communicate one word. Since he has never been around electronics, he's picking up my phone quickly! The one time on the computer he struggled a little with the keys. We mostly use my phone to communicate.

He loves to talk and I am sure it's killing him not to be able to express to us what he's thinking and feeling. I am impressed though with his patience as he hasn't gotten too frustrated. It took a while to figure out that he writes Ukrainian but speaks Russian, if that makes sense! We were wondering why nothing would translate! After speaking with some of the other host families, we figured that out. Since then, we've had a better time communicating, but it's still not perfect. It seems like a lot of things don't translate over for some reason? I wrote him that I knew the day was boring and thanked him for being such a good boy, his response was "I tried". He is such a cutie!!

Last night was special as I got to talk to him a little more about him going back and us coming to get him in a few months. He seems to understand what has to happen. I am so glad because it would be even harder for us if he was having a hard time knowing he has to go back for a while after getting a taste of America. He is an amazing kid! I explained that we will come to the Ukraine to get him and we are hoping to make it around his birthday on November 15th, but it's up to the court system. I also asked him if he was excited to come back "home" and his exact translation was "very happy". That was one of the first times that the translation was clear!

Today we are going to work with Dusty in State College, stop by the market in Boalsburg, and then the Curve game! Hopefully the weather will hold out!

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Tina,
    I was told about the host camp through a friend and another friend, Elizabeth, emailed to let me know you are adopting as part of the host camp. We just brought home our two children from Ethiopia in February. We have two bio. children, as well. We are very interested in the camp and would love to be a part of something like it in the future. May God continue to bless your adoption. If you are interested or need anything, you can reach me personally by email:

    ministree333@yahoo.com

    Angie Laubach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie,

    Thanks so much and congrats to you! The lady that organized the camp may do another one next year. If I hear for sure, I will post it on my blog. The camp was amazing and if there is another one in the future, I'm sure they'd love help!
    Thanks for your comment:)
    Tina

    ReplyDelete