Friday, August 27, 2010

Lesson #1

Did I really think that the whole time Dima was here, we wouldn't have any issues? I guess I should have known. He's been so good since we've had him at our house for a week that I took things for granted. Dusty and I keep saying he could be our child. He's loves watches...so does Dusty. He needs to know when, where, why, and how....that's me! So I thought he understood when I explained to him, through google translate, that we were going to pick up my sister from the airport. On the way to the airport he asked how long it was going to take and he sulked at the 40 minute drive. I again didn't think anything of it. Once we got the airport, Dima was stand offish with my sister whom I was so excited to show off her future nephew to. Once back in the car he fell asleep. When we arrived at my parents house, Dima awoke to giving me the silent treatment and would not get out of the car! After many failed attempts, we ended up going home. He continued to give me the silent treatment until Dusty came home from work. All it took was Dusty to look into his room and Dima was back to his old self.

I was trying to figure out what the heck happened and the only thing I can think of is that I didn't explain to him that while we were going to pick up my sister from the airport, Dusty was working. Dima has been Dusty's shadow and has really gotten attached to him. Poor guy didn't know what was going on and may have thought Dusty left him?? After so many years in the orphanage and knowing he has to go back, I'm sure he still has some doubts to us adopting him. That's why we keep trying to reassure him. It's not going to happen overnight and it's not going to be easy.

We only have a few more days with Dima and I am trying to focus on when we get him home for good, not the few months that we will be without him. It's going to be a really hard day Sunday, but we need to be strong for him and make sure he understands that we will be coming to get him hopefully in November. We would be so thrilled to have him back to Christmas! That would be the best Christmas gift ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment