Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Getting ready for the train!

After being in the apartment for about 24 hrs straight, we were very excited when Syvette called us to see if we'd want to try a Ukrainian Restaurant with her, Lori and Russ.  It started out snowing yesterday and turned into rain so we weren't able to go outside. We didn't have anything to wear that would keep us dry.  Thank goodness for the internet as I think Dusty and I would have gone crazy! Even though there was not much to do, we had fun and got the giggles about everything. I actually talked Dusty into doing some yoga which he complained pretty much the whole time:)

After a good night sleep for me, a bad night sleep for Dusty, we tried to workout in the apartment.  Now the rooms in these apartments are about he size of our living room put into sections.  The picture below took me about 15 minutes to download.  I tried to download others, but this picture downloaded 4 times.  Not sure what is going on with downloading pictures to the blog. I'll try again in Krivoy Rog.  It was fun trying to workout with absolutely nothing to use so we did a lot of pushups and squats.  Dusty had to complain the whole time during the workout of course:) We then received the phone call to go out to eat.

Syvette took us to this really cool restaurant.  I had to try the borscht and it was awesome.  The bread here is so good too. We were able to get some pictures of us all with it snowing outside.  Looks like Lori was able to download a picture on her blog.  During dinner, Syvette tried to call the orphanage so she could talk to the kids to tell them we were coming but they were at the cinema.  That's cool they were able to do things like that.  Sounds like the orphanage director is really nice, I am looking forward in meeting her.  I was bummed though that she wasn't able to talk to Dima as I would have loved to hear his reaction.  After dinner, Syvette took us to pick up our paperwork from the SDA so we can go to the orphanage tomorrow.  The office is up this really cool cobblestone street with little cafe's and other neat shops.  I wish I could have taken a picture but it was too dark. We stepped inside and there were other couples waiting around as well.  The craziest thing happened, we saw this couple there that I remembered seeing on our airplane from Amsterdam.  How crazy is that? The lady that handed us our paperwork was the same one that we met with yesterday.  Yesterday, this same lady first looked at Dima's picture and showed it to us to make sure it was the child we want to adopt, she said he looked like Dusty.  That helped me relax in the meeting.

Now we are getting our things packed up again so we can take the overnight trip to Krivoy Rog.  It's amazing that for an overnight train ride in the sleeper car, it's only 700 grivnas for us and Syvette. I think that's only around $100US dollars. Dusty is better about figuring out the difference than me.  This is about an 8 hour train ride!

Once we get to Krivoy Rog, we stop and see the Inspector for her to talk to us.  Since Dima is in school, we will stop back after 2pm to see him!!! It's crazy to think that this time tomorrow we will already have seen him! I don't think I am going to sleep much on this train ride!!!!
This is the kitchen of the apartment in Kiev.

1 comment:

  1. WOW that kitchen is small! Tell Dustin he will be thankful he stretched after he is on the train. We love reading your blog and we check it a couple times a day. Have a good train trip.

    ReplyDelete