Wednesday, February 2, 2011

No School....again!

Dima REALLY likes school here in America! He has quickly learned how the delays and cancellations work.  Last night he kept saying to us and looking outside.....ICE..NO SCHOOL!!! Dusty and I didn't want him to get his hopes up so we kept saying that he'd better get to sleep because there may not be a delay.  Well, after seeing this morning that Punxy Phil didn't see his shadow, school was cancelled due to ice.  For my brother and sister...this picture is for you guys since you live in warm climates now:

My brother is getting married in Hawaii today!!! So excited for him and Gina as I am gaining a great Sister-In-Law!!

Back to how Dima is doing.  I have had people say they are missing the blogs everyday so I promise I will try to keep updating everyone.  Dima's getting better and better everyday with his English! His little meltdowns are getting a lot less since he is getting more comfortable as well.  It was nice to hear him on the phone with his Aunt Sherri and Grandma Nora last night.  He is  now able to carry on a basic conversation.  He constantly asks questions how to say things.  We only use Google Translate to help with specific words in English or he types the Ukrainian word so he can see the English word.  He seems to be getting more comfortable with school and his teachers as well.  His English teacher told us a funny story the other day.  Dima is known to hide as it's a sign he is comfortable with whom he's hiding from.  I mentioned before that he was giving her a hard time in class.  The other day he went into class and when she went into the room, she could not see him.  She looked around and saw his sneakers from under her desk.  She went along with him and said "I thought I saw Dima come in here".  That was good to hear that he is finally opening up.  He seems to like his classes and wants to do his work.  It is still hard to do what all the other children are doing.  One example is his Reading class.  He still can't read what book they are reading, but I am going to see if I can find out what book and see if I can get it in his language. 

Dusty and I continue to see little things each day that just amaze us.  He is one special boy and I am just amazed that he is not mad at the world for having to live 14 years in an orphanage.  He is full of laughter and loves to joke around.  He constantly makes us laugh with his little sayings and quick comebacks.  We are truly blessed!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting...so good to know how he is doing...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading about your journey Tina! I can't imagine how much Dima will add to your lives and I'm sure you'll be doing the same for him.

    ReplyDelete